[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 19:00:01 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Alex <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:

> You make a very good point; however, I think we can all agree usability
> comes before novelty, no matter how much in love we are with novelty.

So, I repeat: you're setting the requirements as you are because you
don't consider openness down to the hardware level a usability
feature, you consider it a novelty feature.

That's you. And in fact it's most of the Linux community. It's why
it's so hard to make progress in this area, because the Linux
community does *not* consider openness down to the hardware level as a
priority, when measured against their other wants.

Which, I have to say, sets all my "Irony-detection" devices to 11 out of 10. :-)

In many other cases, coreboot *is* a key usability feature (hence the
many chromebooks being sold) and in those cases, it is a very high
priority, if not the highest priority.

And, yes, you and I are both broken records where vendors are
concerned. But vendors don't set priorities by anything but how many
million units get sold. They don't care what we think :-)

ron