[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

Alex mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 21:09:28 CET 2013

On 11/14/2013 06:38 PM, ron minnich wrote:
>> Then the problem is not that people don't care. Any plans for a quad-core
>> chromebook in the near future?
>
> Actually, thinking about this, now I disagree with you. People do
> care. But they don't care enough to make it the highest priority.
>
> Your priorities are something like this:
> backlit keyboard
> Al. case
> upgradable ram
> upgradeable 2.5" storage
> ... other stuff
> coreboot
>

> No currently sold coreboot laptop can meet all those requirements. You
> can get upgradeable (acer c710) but not alum. case. You can get alum.
> case but not upgradeable. In any event, however, coreboot is far down
> on your list.
>
> If your list read as
> coreboot
> etc. etc.
>
> Then it would be clear: that kind of openness is a high enough
> priority that you'll give up other wants for it. But, clearly, it's
> not.  Other things come first.
>
> You are not alone; but, that said, it's the problem we've been
> fighting all along. People don't care enough about coreboot to put it
> first.They have other wants, and they'll accept closed, locked-down
> systems to get those wants.
>
> ron

You make a very good point; however, I think we can all agree usability
comes before novelty, no matter how much in love we are with novelty.

I think, I would classify the usability priorities in the following order:

1. All the software I use for work is linux-based => It needs to run
linux. (usually a non-problem)
1b. I use linux => no linux-unfriendly hardware => no nvidia graphics.
2. I often use my laptop in poorly lit environments => backlit keyboard.
3. I crunch data often => full-sized keyboard with number pad.
4. I use my laptop for long periods of time, and can't re-adjust the
screen every time I stretch => IPS display.
5. I am seldom near an ethernet port => great WiFi performance.

And the novelty priorities in this order:

1. It needs to be FLOSS-friendly => coreboot.
2. Nice to have hardware from a FLOSS-friendly chain of vendors => AMD
stuff.
3. Less blobs is better.
4. Needs to look cool => Al/Mg case and/or frame.

I would stick an Intel system if it ran coreboot off the factory floor,
but the usability will always come first. I know I sound like one of
those old men who think they have everything figured out, but when you
consider I spend 12+ hours a day in front of the laptop, everything
needs to be just perfect. If I got one of the currently available
coreboot solutions, I would probably make that 16+ hours a day in front
of the laptop.

Here's another idea. there are plenty of FLOSS-friendly manufacturers of
linux-preinstalled laptops. Why not introduce them to coreboot? I am
probably officially a broken record, aren't I?

Alex