[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 01:38:18 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Alex <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 07:28 PM, ron minnich wrote:
>>
>> well, there's no chromebook I can think of that will meet your needs.
>

> Then the problem is not that people don't care. Any plans for a quad-core
> chromebook in the near future?

Actually, thinking about this, now I disagree with you. People do
care. But they don't care enough to make it the highest priority.

Your priorities are something like this:
backlit keyboard
Al. case
upgradable ram
upgradeable 2.5" storage
... other stuff
coreboot

No currently sold coreboot laptop can meet all those requirements. You
can get upgradeable (acer c710) but not alum. case. You can get alum.
case but not upgradeable. In any event, however, coreboot is far down
on your list.

If your list read as
coreboot
etc. etc.

Then it would be clear: that kind of openness is a high enough
priority that you'll give up other wants for it. But, clearly, it's
not.  Other things come first.

You are not alone; but, that said, it's the problem we've been
fighting all along. People don't care enough about coreboot to put it
first.They have other wants, and they'll accept closed, locked-down
systems to get those wants.

ron