[coreboot] Intel: How to share `tsc_freq.c` to select `UDELAY_TSC`

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu May 9 00:12:56 CEST 2013

ron minnich wrote:
> >> Given that the platforms work, and most of them are obsolete,
> >> it's hard to see the virtue in this change.
> >
> > I disagree.
>
> Are you going to test every one of the 19 platforms that we're talking
> about changing?

That's unrelated to seeing virtue, but no, I'm not going to test them
all. If I do review I will however do very careful review, as usual.

> And if you can't test it, you need to think hard about what you're doing.

Absolutely. I actually hold this true for *all* software no matter
what. Most developers I see code from think a lot less hard.

> > Code reuse where reuse makes sense is one of several things that
> > separate coreboot from commercial firmware products, and a very
> > worthy goal indeed.
>
> Well, yes, and I had something to do with that, you may recall :-)

Yes of course!

> I'm not arguing against reuse.

You are arguing against refactoring existing code for increased reuse.

> One way is to unify new platforms going forward, and not touch old
> ones that can't be tested.

Much too conservative. You're essentially arguing against each and
every item on http://www.coreboot.org/Infrastructure_Projects

> I've had people break things before while 'cleaning it up' and it's not fun.

Of course, it's important to be careful with all changes to all code.

> far, far harder to work out than the stuff you run into at the
> kernel level, and it's best to keep that in mind.

All of us have this in mind, already.

//Peter