[coreboot] Question about STACK_SIZE

Aaron Durbin adurbin at chromium.org
Thu May 2 17:25:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Marc Jones <marcj303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Aaron Durbin <adurbin at chromium.org> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am wondering why the ramstage stack size is so large on a lot of boards:
>>
>> $ grep -A 3 -r STACK_SIZE src/* | grep Kconfig | grep default | awk '{
>> print $NF }' | sort | uniq -c | sort -r -n
>>      16 0x10000
>>       2 0x2000
>>       2 0x1000
>>       1 0x20000
>>
>> Is this just an artifact of copy-n-paste? What is driving the
>> requirement for such large stack sizes?
>
> I suspect that it is some copy and paste. Some of the AMD Fam10 and
> Fam15 have large stacks for stacks for each core (which may or maynot
> need to be as large as they are).

What do you mean by that? Did you mean the STACK_SIZE variable is
being used preallocate stacks for all cores? If so what about the
following? I admittedly changed the 2nd one, but that still followed
the original intent.

http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=coreboot.git;a=blob;f=src/lib/stack.c;h=1f9e0099445b5b9f14a367e958dfec1713e15703;hb=refs/heads/master
http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=coreboot.git;a=blob;f=src/arch/x86/lib/c_start.S;h=32af0ccdf94614fd4a0b0fffe99f27f2a6ce6294;hb=refs/heads/master#l9

-Aaron