[coreboot] [RFC] Abbreviations in commit messages and code

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 06:26:42 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Dear coreboot folks,
>

> following up on Ron’s comment to Gerrit item(?) 2695 [1]
>
>         We can't break out each and every vendor TLA (Three Letter
>         Acronym) or we'll be here for years. I understand the possible
>         confusion, but at the same time, there are terms of the art that
>         we just use, ULT, PCI, DMA, HT, PNP, I2C, being some of them.
>         It's a dreadful learning curve, but we all get to climb it :-)
>
> I propose the following rule (suggestion, guideline) for usage of
> abbreviations in commit messages and code.

Programming at the low-level in firmware and drivers often means turning
datasheets into functional code, so it is important to use acronyms,
mnemonics, and other terminology consistent with vendor-provided
documentation. Otherwise searching for a particular value, register name,
etc. can be very frustrating.

PDF readers are a few years behind Google in terms of contextual search ;-)