[coreboot] Unifying AMD SB700/SB800/SB900 code base

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Mar 6 22:22:50 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Dear coreboot folks,
>

> please take a look at the following difference of two files.
>
>         $ diff -u src/southbridge/amd/cimx/sb{8,9}00/late.c
>         --- src/southbridge/amd/cimx/sb800/late.c       2013-03-02
> 08:52:51.313654244 +0100
>         +++ src/southbridge/amd/cimx/sb900/late.c       2013-03-02
> 08:51:52.157327591 +0100

> So changes are mainly,
>
> 1. Different capitalization of file names.
> 2. Different function names (sb800 vs. sb900).
> 3. Different comments.
> 4. Changes to the SB800 file which have not been ported to the SB900
> file.
>
> So looking at the lspci output,
>
>         00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
> SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
>
> Linux drivers(?) seem to use the same code for SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 too. So
> I just assume that they are indeed very similar.
>
> Should not we do the same? Especially because of item 4., that fixes get
> ported to all generations.
>
> If that is unfeasible at least spelling of filenames should be kept
> consistent in my opinion.

Those seem to be from AGESA/CIMX. For better or worse, it models the
vendor's internal code development processes so that coreboot gets code
drops like the commercial BIOS vendors. I guess AMD developed the SB900
separately from the SB800 to utilize chipset-specific debug features, and
then sanitized the code prior to releasing it.

You're right to point out the problems with this model, but in general I
suspect it's best to simply accept the ugly parts rather than diverge from
whatever AMD uses internally.

For more info about AGESA/CIMX and coreboot, see
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/02/28/technical-details-coreboot/

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.