[coreboot] Tyan S2895 SATA, USB, ethernet not working

Andrew Basterfield abasterfield at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 15:28:07 CET 2013

On 03/03/13 14:18, Andrew Goodbody wrote:
> On 03/03/13 14:04, Andrew Basterfield wrote:
>> Due to the lack of CPU in socket #2 the board becomes a little crippled;
>> 2nd PCIe slot and 2nd ethernet no are longer available; maybe coreboot
>> would work OK with both sockets populated but the single socket
>> configuration has not been encountered?
>>
>> --Andrew
>
> You took one CPU out because the board misbehaved. All bets are off. I
> would blame the lack of 2nd PCIe slot and 2nd ethernet on the same
> hardware fault that caused the 2nd CPU to misbehave. Different firmware
> is not going to fix faulty hardware.
> It may be just a fault in the single CPU configuration but you have no
> way to tell. The only thing you know for sure is that there is a
> hardware fault.
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew

The lack of 2nd PCIe and ethernet is expected behavior when the 2nd
socket is empty - please see the following

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2895_101.pdf

Please see 2nd 'NOTE' section 2.4 page 18

Looking at the system architecture section 2.2, page 9, it becomes clear
why this is so.

I think I will have to re-cap the board to restore the 2nd CPU socket to
eliminate this variable.

--Andrew