[coreboot] [RFC] How to prevent whitespace issues in patches?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 2 10:55:37 CET 2013

Dear coreboot folks,

first of all, sorry for all my nitpicking comments. I do hope they
result in a better overall quality (regarding documentation too) of the
coreboot code base.

Looking through the patchsets also for formal stuff, I am currently
quite tired of still finding patches, that are pushed to Gerrit which
have whitespace issues. `git show` should show trailing whitespaces, but
I think it does not show tabs between text in comments. Configuring the
editor to highlight tabs differently might be an option.

Do you know of other solutions? For example, how do other projects
handle this?

How could that be solved elegantly? On the editor level, “git hook”
level or can Gerrit be setup to do this?

Thanks,

Paul