[coreboot] coreboot on x60s

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sun Jun 23 14:09:57 CEST 2013

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:58:34 +1000
oneofthem <oneofthem at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Hey do you how to flash coreboot onto the x60s?
> I read the instructions here
> https://www.coreboot.org/Lenovo_x60x
> but I don't understand, mostly "you will need: the flash source, a
> small patch for it, and the bucts utility)
> What is the "small patch" meant to be?
>
> I really have no idea what I'm doing.

IT says:
>You will need: the flashrom source, a small patch for it, and the
>bucts utility.
Flashrom is a program for flashing:
http://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom

If you're not confident with the instructions provided at
https://www.coreboot.org/Lenovo_x60x you could try to find someone in
your area that knows well coreboot and is able to do them for you, if
there is no one in your area that knows corbeoot, you could still go on
but you have the risk of bricking your laptop if theses instructions
are not followed correctly(it happened to several people already, many
also succedded though), if you brick the laptop any hope is not lost
though: There is still a way to recover but it require to disassemble
the laptop, buy a pomona clip and get an external programmer(you may
already have one without knowing it), to connect them together, then to
clip the pomona clip to the flash chip,to connect the external
programmer to another computer that can run flashrom,to run
flashrom and make it flash the new image trough the external programmer
(for instance a normal coreboot image that is proven to work or the
backup of the BIOS you have).

Denis.