[coreboot] Bricked Lenovo T60

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:26:11 CEST 2013

the question about fallback is 'when do I tell the machine that the
normal boot succeeded'? At LANL, we learned the best place: as LATE in
the boot process as possible, long after LInux is up. You want to be
sure, if you set 'booted ok', that it is LINUX that booted ok, not
just coreboot. That's a key piece.

Because if coreboot sets 'booted ok', and then the node doesn't boot,
that's not doing you much good, is it? We learned that the hard way.

So: only linux boot scripts get to set 'normal booted ok', and that
should be the last thing you do
and
many things get to clear 'normal booted ok', including linux, the
payload, and coreboot itself.

But if you do it, of course, you want to always be sure the 'fallback
image' is a good one :-)

ron