[coreboot] Chromebooks overview

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Tue Jun 11 23:00:33 CEST 2013

Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for doing this!

I see you've already found a wealth of resources. I have a test rack with
every kind of Chromebook and can send additional pictures if needed.

A couple comments in-line.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Tim Zander <t.zander at uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi, try to collect information about the chromebooks to write things up in
> the wiki.
>
> Which of the following things are true (for the lastest coreboot version):
>
> 0. all 5 Chromebooks are supported by coreboot (
> http://www.google.com/intl/**en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.**html<http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html>)
> Ok 5 names show in the   config menu, so are there maybe unsupported older
> version of the chromebooks (ones with other working names then
>
>   1. Butterfly (BOARD_GOOGLE_BUTTERFLY) (NEW)
>   2. Link (BOARD_GOOGLE_LINK) (NEW)
>   3. Parrot (BOARD_GOOGLE_PARROT) (NEW)
>   4. Snow (BOARD_GOOGLE_SNOW) (NEW)
>   5. Stout (BOARD_GOOGLE_STOUT) (NEW)!
>

> 1. all chromebooks need to be flashed by an external programmer to get
> your own coreboot version (and payload) running (but it is doable without
> breaking things)

While it is recommended that the user have an external programmer in case
something goes wrong, it is possible to run flashrom from within the OS.
The chromium.org branch of flashrom
(here<http://git.chromium.org/gitweb/?p=chromiumos/third_party/flashrom.git;a=summary>)
will detect and skip over the management engine region on Intel platforms
and comes installed on all Chromebooks.

Is there information about where the spi chips can be found?

Hmmm, I don't know off-hand :-/ If not, we can augment existing pics on the
site you found or get some new ones.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.