[coreboot] Well supported energy efficient HTPC motherboard

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Mon Jul 22 12:49:46 CEST 2013

On 22-07-13 12:23, David Hubbard wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
>     Ouch, those are pretty big numbers. I was acking towards the Asus
>     F2A85 aswell but will probably look at a very power efficient APU
>     variant. Don't they come in 65W TDP's? Granted these tdp's are
>     including a GPU.
>

> Keep in mind I'm measuring at the wall. TDP is the rating just for the
> CPU. For example, disabling AHCI by not loading the AHCI module drops
> the total power by 2W. I tried everything I could think of to see how
> low I could get the power but couldn't get below 33W for idle.
I've gotten used to my raspberry pi's power draw of 3.3W for idle :p

While ARM is much nicer on many fronts, opensource video decoding isn't
one of them (YET, I  am involved with linux-sunxi where that might be a
reality sooner rather then later).

>     I'm also leaning towards an external video card, due to the shared
>     memory thing. Then again, it doesn't do a whole lot of heavy lifting
>     so that shouldn't really be an issue.
>

> Even a low-end AMD APU should have no problem performing as an HTPC.
> What would you use it for that would need the dedicated memory bandwidth?
It would serve two functions, Mediaplayback, and the occasional
(emulated) game. While I agree, they aren't very memory bandwith greedy,
3D GPU stuffs might want faster memory then.