[coreboot] Well supported energy efficient HTPC motherboard

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 12:23:48 CEST 2013

Hi Oliver,

Ouch, those are pretty big numbers. I was acking towards the Asus F2A85
> aswell but will probably look at a very power efficient APU variant. Don't
> they come in 65W TDP's? Granted these tdp's are including a GPU.

Keep in mind I'm measuring at the wall. TDP is the rating just for the CPU.
For example, disabling AHCI by not loading the AHCI module drops the total
power by 2W. I tried everything I could think of to see how low I could get
the power but couldn't get below 33W for idle.

I'm also leaning towards an external video card, due to the shared memory
> thing. Then again, it doesn't do a whole lot of heavy lifting so that
> shouldn't really be an issue.

Even a low-end AMD APU should have no problem performing as an HTPC. What
would you use it for that would need the dedicated memory bandwidth?

Regards,
David