[coreboot] Supported laptops (again), treacherous computing

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 17:14:22 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
<GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:

> What is unclear and must be tested is if the computer would boot or
> have some issues without the microcode. It really has to be tested...
> It might also work only on a subset of the X60/T60.

But the microcode is there, one way or another, right? It's in the
CPU. This is a microcode update. It fixes bugs. And, on newer systems,
they sometimes don't boot without the update.

I don't see how excluding the new, fixed version from coreboot helps anything.
Further, it means you don't have bug-fixed microcode, which seems bad.

> I wonder if the NIC has its own DMA engine.

They pretty much all do.

ron