[coreboot] Supported laptops (again), treacherous computing

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Fri Jul 12 13:19:32 CEST 2013

On 12-07-13 12:35, Nikita Karetnikov wrote:
> I'm looking for an x86_64 laptop to try Coreboot.  I've looked through
> the archives [1,2] and the wiki [3]; it seems the most popular machines
> are x60s and t60.
Which (again) strikes me as ood, that intel laptops are the most
recommended ones.

The last time I brought that up, someone said, the AMD offerings are
very light. So I did a newegg query for all AMD cpu laptops and found
the following targets:

Lenovo G585; AMD A1-1500 CPU for 299 USD.
Some open box laptops with E2's and A6's, but lets ignore those.
HP 2000-2b10NR; AMD A1-1200 CPU for 379 USD
Asus F55U-NH21; AMD E2-1800 CPU for 389 USD
HP Pavilion 14-b110us; AMD A4-4335M CPU; 399 USD
Samsung ATIV Book2; AMD E2-2000 CPU for 399 USD.

So with less then 400 USD you can have a nice AMD based laptop, all have
4gb ram and AMD graphics. Not too bad imo. The big big downside with
those is the screen resolution of course, 1366x768.

Upping the resolution requirement to atleast 1600x900, the price
category quickly jumps 559 USD for a HP Pavilion 17-e010us; AMD A6-5350M.

Choice are available, now just someone to take the plunge and support
them ;)