[coreboot] RFC: Allow CBFS to read from multiple arbitrary source media.

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Jan 29 11:46:29 CET 2013

Am 2013-01-29 11:08, schrieb Hung-Te Lin:
>     CBFS used to work only on memory-mapped ROM (all x86). For
> platforms like ARM, the ROM may come from USB, UART, or SPI -- any
> serial devices and not available for memory mapping.
>
>     The idea is to allow (1) using CBFS on platforms without
> memory-mapped ROM (ex, ARM), and (2) reading CBFS from multiple
> source
> at the same time (ex, receive updates from USB or UART cable).
I can understand other memory types (and there are some weird access
patterns, we had that on some gigabyte board already).
I'm not quite as sure about UART as CBFS source.
I'm quite opposed against "live" updates.

Any use case I can envision (for updates or UART loading) is better
implemented as payload specific function (and totally separate from
CBFS), but maybe I just lack creativity.

So, what's your use case?

Patrick