[coreboot] gerrit: patch iterations in email [was: differences between patchset iterations]

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Mon Jan 28 23:54:32 CET 2013

Necromancing this thread.

There seems to be a bit of frustration regarding the noise caused by some
recent patch sets. A quick look at the January mailing list
archive<http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2013-January/thread.html>
shows
how messy things are at the moment.

In the beginning it seemed like most people preferred to rely on e-mail
filters to filter out excessive noise. But due to recent comments, I'm
curious if it's worth re-visiting some ideas we discussed earlier about
frequency and style of patch update notifications:
- Should we continue to have gerrit send e-mails for every patch iteration?
- Can we remove the hash from the "Patch set updated" e-mails so they
appear in a single thread?
- Is there a way to make gerrit *not* send update notifications if no
actual code changes were made, for example if the patch was inserted into a
series or if the commit message was changed?
- Can we make Jenkins send less verbose messages to the IRC channel so that
it sends out one (instead of two) brief messages indicating a patch's
success or failure?

Any other thoughts?

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)