[coreboot] Guide lines: Prepend commit summary with component (was: New patch to review for coreboot: 0b41858 Clean up the mmu setup a bit)

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Mon Jan 28 23:17:40 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Dear coreboot folks,
>

> Am Montag, den 28.01.2013, 18:02 +0100 schrieb Ronald G.Minnich:
>
> […]
>
> >     Clean up the mmu setup a bit
>
> to keep a better overview when looking at the commit log (`git log
> --format=oneline` in Gitweb for example) it would help me, if the
> component the patch/commit touches would be prepended to the commit
> summary.
>
>     ARMv7/Snow: Clean up the MMU setup a bit
>
> Does everybody agree with that so that this could be added to the
> development guidelines?

It can be helpful, but should be left at the author's discretion. Prefixes
are handy because proper grammar takes a lot of space in a subject line,
but are not required in every case.

If you wish to focus only on a particular part of the codebase, then
specify the directories/files you wish to look at when running git log.
Actually, I think it would look kind of ugly to do "git log src/arch/x86"
and see every commit cluttered with some cookie-cutter prefix.

/my $0.02.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.