[coreboot] BIOS vendors and Linux testing (was: Feedback On Coreboot: the Solution to the Secure Boot Fiasco)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 2 20:27:28 CET 2013

Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2013, 10:04 -0800 schrieb ron minnich:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Andrew Goodbody <ajg4tadpole at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am sure that it is the old story, most testing will be done against
> > Windows. Anything more will be the exception. This is where the pressure
> > needs to be put on the platform vendors as this is the part that they are
> > responsible for.
>
> Sorry, vendors don't have a pattern of paying attention to end user
> sales issues such as "won't boot Linux". They are selling into a
> market in which Linux is about 1% at best of sales. That's been the
> common experience anyway, even at very large companies: BIOS issues
> just don't get fixed.

Well at least ASRock did test Ubuntu on one system and fixed it. This is
in the changelog for BIOS version 1.70 for the ASRock E350M1 [1].

        »2. Modify Ubuntu 12.04 can not shutdown issue.«

I guess either the coreboot porters told them, Canonical exercised
pressure or one of the ASRock employees uses Ubuntu at home. ;-)

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS&Model=E350M1