[coreboot] Guide lines: Prepend commit summary with component

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Fri Feb 1 03:25:29 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2013, 21:47 +0100 schrieb Peter Stuge:
> > David Hendricks wrote:
> > > If you wish to focus only on a particular part of the codebase
> >
> > It's more about getting an overview of what has changed.
> >
> > It is impossible to discern whether "Fix MMU setup" is at all
> > relevant for my ThinkPad from the message alone. Maybe some setup
> > was wrong - what do I know. "armv7: Fix MMU setup" however makes it
> > clear what the change is.
>
> Thanks Peter. That example made my point clear.

Yeah, but "Run option ROMs in coreboot by default only if the payload is
not SeaBIOS" is plenty descriptive without prepending anything. It would
probably get rejected by a pre-submit hook for being too long had the
author tried.

Anyway, I find pre-fixes useful and I use them whenever it makes sense to
do so. I just don't think that we need to get militant about it so long as
people exercise common sense.

> > specify the directories/files you wish to look at when running git log.
>
> The Web interfaces make this stuff hard.

I'm confused... When you navigate to a sub-directory in gitweb and press
the "history" link it will only print changes that have touched files in
that sub-directory and those beneath it.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.