[coreboot] MSI 870S-G54 (MS-7599) Motherboard Specs

GS Hunt garyhunt at mnsi.net
Fri Aug 23 03:47:00 CEST 2013

Included is the superiotool dump

I used the Register Descriptors for F71889 as a template changing the
device number to 0x909

The dump seems to be sane judging by the values returned in refernece

attached files

finteck.c.diff
superiotool.dump

> Dear GS Hunt,
>

> welcome to coreboot! Please read the netiquette [1], which among other
> things says to just send plain text message and no HTML. As you use
> Mozilla Thunderbird, this is easy to configure.
>

> Am Dienstag, den 20.08.2013, 20:21 -0400 schrieb GS Hunt:
>> // <http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/870S-G54.html>Brief Descriptions
>>
>> MSI 870S-G54 (MS-7599)
>> Chipset*NorthBridge AMD870 Soutbridge 850**
>> *CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
>
> That sounds promising. AMD chipsets are supported by code directly
> contributed by AMD.
>
>> lspci attached
>> flashrom info attached.
>> superiotool super io not detected
>> super i/o  info from dmesg -> f71882fg: Found f71889ed chip at 0x600,
>> revision 16
>
> Ok, to get serial output, you need to get the Super I/O working. Maybe
> it is similar to some chip already in the coreboot tree.
>
>> Supports dumping bios to USB device
>> Will run bios from a USB device (no flashing required)
>
> I guess that only works with the vendor BIOS and not coreboot.
>
>> Manufacture Website
>>
>> http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/870S-G54.html#/?div=Detail
>
> Thanks for pasting this link.
>
> How much time and money are you willing to invest. With no prior
> experience this is doable but to reach above 90 percent feature parity
> with the vendor BIOS it is going to be some effort.
>
> First you need to find a way to easily recover. Easiest is an external
> programmer or to hot-swap the flash chip if it is socketed [2].
>
> Then you probably need to add support for the Super I/O. Then you need a
> way to capture coreboot’s debugging output. Common methods are using the
> serial console or an USB debug dongle which Kyösti Mälkki currently adds
> support for as his Google Summer of Code project. Check out his blog
> posts [3] for more information.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> [1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette
> [2] http://flashrom.org/Technology
> [3] http://blogs.coreboot.org/

Included is the superiotool dump

I used the Register Descriptors for F71889 as a template changing the
device number to 0x909

The dump seems to be sane judging by the values returned in reference to
the datasheet

(http://www.fintek.com.tw/files/productfiles/F71889_V0.28P.pdf)

attached files

finteck.c.diff