[coreboot] On loongson CPU or MIPS ARCH

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 29 11:18:03 CEST 2013

Dear Guang,

Am Montag, den 29.04.2013, 16:56 +0800 schrieb li guang:

> 在 2013-04-29一的 10:47 +0200,Paul Menzel写道:

> > > […]
> > >
> > > Could you all please read what Vladimir actually wrote and not put
> > > something in his mouth!
> > >
> > > »You need something as GRUB for it since the chip is too small
> > > to hold a kernel anyway.«
> > >
> > > The »something« makes a difference.
> > >
> > > He just informed Guang, that he needs a payload, which Guang did not
> > > consider yet. As Vladimir already knows coreboot due to his X201s work
> > > and dealt with Loongson I find it very nice of him to share his opinion.
> >
> > Guang, from all of the respondents I probably are the most inexperienced
> > one, so my answers might be incorrect. One of the strong points of
> > coreboot is its PCI initialization framework, the ability to configure
> > it with Kconfig and the ability to customize it
>
> Loongson platform be designed mostly like a PC, it also control PCI
> devices.
>
> > because of the payload
> > concept, where coreboot only initializes only the minimum of the
> > hardware and a payload, like SeaBIOS, FILO and GRUB, can take over.
>
> I'm not quite clear about code flow between bootblock and payload
> for now, so, is there some document about it?

coreboot has its own filesystem for the ROM called CBFS (coreboot
filesystem). If I am right, coreboot by default loads the file
`fallback/payload` stored in there and jumps to it/executes it [1].

> or can you give some hints for code flow?
> Thanks!

Some talks about coreboot were recorded. Peter Stuge’s talk »2008/12/27
coreboot at 25C3 in Berlin, Germany« linked from [2] is often
recommended to watch to get an overview.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/Payloads