[coreboot] On loongson CPU or MIPS ARCH

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 29 10:47:03 CEST 2013

Am Montag, den 29.04.2013, 10:19 +0200 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Am Sonntag, den 28.04.2013, 20:21 -0700 schrieb ron minnich:
> > On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
> > <phcoder at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Could we have a sane discussion about why it's not suitable for this or
> > > that scenario and what would need to be fixed? Not just quasi-fanatical
> > > "I don't want it".
> >
> > I guess I missed the part where not wanting something was considered insane.
>
> […]
>
> Could you all please read what Vladimir actually wrote and not put
> something in his mouth!
>
> »You need something as GRUB for it since the chip is too small
> to hold a kernel anyway.«
>
> The »something« makes a difference.
>
> He just informed Guang, that he needs a payload, which Guang did not
> consider yet. As Vladimir already knows coreboot due to his X201s work
> and dealt with Loongson I find it very nice of him to share his opinion.

Guang, from all of the respondents I probably are the most inexperienced
one, so my answers might be incorrect. One of the strong points of
coreboot is its PCI initialization framework, the ability to configure
it with Kconfig and the ability to customize it because of the payload
concept, where coreboot only initializes only the minimum of the
hardware and a payload, like SeaBIOS, FILO and GRUB, can take over.

As I do not know the Loongson/MIPS architecture, I have no idea if the
coreboot “framework” is suitable or not for it. From coreboot’s
perspective it would be nice if you could spend the time trying to do a
Loongson/MIPS port. I also cannot remember if that has been tried in the
past.

Thanks,

Paul