[coreboot] BIOS Savior (RD1-PMC4/8X) unavailable? Build my own?

Milo Hoffmann lineage2005 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:29:41 CET 2012

Hello list,

I might be missing something here, but I've spent all day trying to
find a vendor (anywhere) who actually carries the BIOS Savior model
I've determined I need. I did find on the ioss website that they have
stopped manufacturing (I believe that's what they were trying to say)
the models I need. [1]
I have a PLCC32 socket (holding an SST 49LF004B) and the ioss
reference page [2][3] indicates an RD1-PMC4 or RD1-8X (not 8X2).

So... I started down the line of thought that I should be able to
build my own, or come close enough to it with a switchable solution,
for testing.

Digging around, I found the wiki page indicating that it was possible
to build your own [4]. There was no PLCC example, so I searched a bit
more and found this [5] thread and this [6] reference. The thread
included a quick and dirty explanation of setup (provided that you
have  identical chips) along with other useful hints. The reference
was less helpful unless I can get a 8Mb (1MB) flash chip that is
otherwise identical to the SST49LF004B.

But, the thread also said I would need a "32pin PLCC-Plugin-Adapter"
for which I have found a few part numbers but no US distributor
(haven't looked international yet).

I have the datasheet for the SST49LF004B (and two known working chips)
but don't know the rest of the equation.

The datasheet does not include the /CE pin from the quick and dirty
explanation. I interpret it to mean the WE# (Write Enable) pin but am
seeking confirmation from more informed folks.

Can anyone on the list confirm I could hook up two identical
SST49LF004B, using the WE# pin, to a three wire switch and have a
functioning switchable BIOS?

Is the more elegant solution to also find a PLCC Plug (like say,
Winslow Adaptics W9302), two PLCC sockets and some board with which to
stick them all together?

I would really like to return the 'spare' SST49LF004B back to it's
board once I have a working coreboot firmware load. (I'm sure I'll be
asking questions about that soon too. Still trying to get a QEMU
coreboot working... hehehee...)

Thanks for any response.

Milo