[coreboot] [RFC] Improve very early boot

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:43:49 CET 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 15:41 -0400, ron minnich wrote:
> My only concern about this sort of change is that it adds in more
> makefile magic, and I find that over time it confuses people. The
> explicit reference to a file in a kconfig is arguably ugly, but I
> worry a lot about things that hide what is going on.

Ron, I switched cc back to list.

I don't consider this as hiding any more than the ordinary source file
inclusions with Makefile classes like ramstage-y+= etc. I would have
used that method for bootblock too, but this needs to compile with ROMCC
and the parent-first order of devicetree.cb is just right.

One trouble is people abuse the freedom of Kconfig. You may notice in
this patch the HP board; it overrides the southbridge init code with a
super-io init code placed in the mainboard directory. Considering the
original purpose of having southbridge code in bootblock (to access all
of flash, not just the typical top 64/128 kB), I am left with suspicion
if the HP even boots with tiny bootblock.

Thanks,
KM