[coreboot] [SerialICE] [ANNOUNCE] libhwremote 0.1

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:52:38 CET 2012

2012/3/10 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:
> I'm glad to announce libhwremote 0.1, a library which forwards hardware
> accesses over a serial line to a machine running SerialICE. No QEMU needed!
> All you have to do to run lspci/superiotool/... against a remote
> SerialICE target is to compile those tools against libhwremote, and then
> just run them like you would run them natively.
>
> libhwremote is an early prototype. Due to that it has quite a few quirks:
> - Each run of a libhwremote enabled application requires the application
> to be started before SerialICE prints its banner, i.e. start the
> application, then hit reset on the SerialICE target. The reason is the
> init code which expects "newline,serialice_banner,newline" to do
> anything useful. If that banner is not there, the results are undefined.
> - The error handling is mostly working but not really nice.
> - /dev/ttyUSB0 is hardcoded for serial line access, you may want to
> change that.
> - MMIO functions are totally untested, I didn't find any code which
> needed it (except for flashrom, but probing for flash chips might
> interfere with SerialICE functionality if SerialICE runs from ROM).
> - The pciutils patch is totally untested, but I expect it to work.
>
> A big THANK YOU goes to Idwer Vollering who tested a dozen iterations of
> this code until I had figured out the very surprising and unique
> properties of the SerialICE protocol.
>
> Another big THANK YOU goes to Ron Minnich who sent a mail titled
> "[SerialICE] an idea" which motivated me to start this little project:
> http://serialice.com/pipermail/serialice/2009-November/000043.html
>
> This code sat unfinished on my disk since December 2009, and it's about
> time I finished it enough to be usable.
>
> Notes::
> - superiotool support is tested and stable
> - pciutils (lspci/setpci/...) support is untested, but should work.
>
> Please fetch latest superiotool from the coreboot git tree and latest
> pciutils from the pciutils git tree to apply the patches.

git clone'd from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/pciutils/pciutils.git

> libhwremote is available at:
> http://ra.openbios.org/~carldani/libhwremote-0.1.tar.gz
>
> superiotool patch is available at:
> http://ra.openbios.org/~carldani/superiotool_hwremote.diff
>
> pciutils patch is available at:
> http://ra.openbios.org/~carldani/pciutils_hwremote.diff
>
> I plan to check this code into a source code repository really soon, but
> for now a tarball and separate patch downloads have to suffice.
>
> Tests and bug reports appreciated.

Where is i386-io-libhwremote.h?

$ make distclean ; make
rm -f `find . -name "*~" -o -name "*.[oa]" -o -name "\#*\#" -o -name
TAGS -o -name core -o -name "*.orig"`
rm -f update-pciids lspci setpci example lib/config.* *.[78] pci.ids.*
lib/*.pc lib/*.so lib/*.so.*
rm -rf maint/dist
cd lib && ./configure
Configuring libpci for your system... i386--libhwremote 3.2.9-1-ARCH
i386 libhwremote
Looking for access methods... i386-ports dump
Checking for zlib support... yes (auto-detected)
Checking for DNS support... yes (auto-detected)
Checking whether to build a shared library... no (set manually)
make -C lib all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/idwer/coreboot/libhwremote/pciutils/lib'
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o init.o init.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o access.o access.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o generic.o generic.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o dump.o dump.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o names.o names.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o filter.o filter.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o names-hash.o names-hash.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o names-parse.o names-parse.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o names-net.o names-net.c
names-net.c: In function ‘dns_parse_packet’:
names-net.c:78:22: warning: variable ‘x’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o names-cache.o names-cache.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o params.o params.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o caps.o caps.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes   -c -o i386-ports.o i386-ports.c
i386-ports.c:30:33: fatal error: i386-io-libhwremote.h: No such file
or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [i386-ports.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/idwer/coreboot/libhwremote/pciutils/lib'
make: *** [lib/libpci.a] Error 2