[coreboot] Bug when I compiling coreboot with SeaBIOS

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Mar 7 14:47:03 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 04:01:45PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> I'm seeing the ld problem on all my linux systems.

What distro do you have?  This got fixed in Fedora updates at least.

I would normally work around build tool defects (and have done so on
many occasions).  Unfortunately, this LD one is too severe.  The issue
is that SeaBIOS needs to have certain tables and code entry points at
specific memory locations - this is a requirement for compatibility.
The SeaBIOS build generates an LD script to locate the appropriate
sections at the correct addresses.  Unfortunately, the broken version
of LD gets confused with alignment and refuses to place data at the
locations they need to be.  Not much that can be done - any solution
would effectively require not using LD - might as well write our own
LD (with the limited requirements of seabios) than try to work around
it.

-Kevin