[coreboot] One ROM for multiple devices

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jun 13 01:47:19 CEST 2012

Steve Goodrich wrote:
> I would like to see is some mechanism in both coreboot and SeaBIOS
> that would allow a given ROM to be used for multiple devices.
..
> Since this problem exists in both codebases, is it reasonable to
> come up with a solution that will work in both codebases?

I think this should happen in CBFS. The proposal is basically a
special case symlink. It would be nice to have generic symlinks
instead.

Another special case solution yet still CBFS-centered could be to
search for wildcard option ROMs at runtime. (V and D below are
hexits, while x is a literal x.)

1. pciVVVV,DDDD.rom
2. pciVVVV,DDDx.rom
3. pciVVVV,DDxx.rom
4. pciVVVV,Dxxx.rom
5. pciVVVV,xxxx.rom
6. pciVVVx,xxxx.rom
7. pciVVxx,xxxx.rom
8. pciVxxx,xxxx.rom
9. pcixxxx,xxxx.rom

6 through 9 may be debatable, but I'm not neccessarily against them!

//Peter