[coreboot] Boots from PCI add-on card on Intel ICHs

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 06:54:24 CEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 18:13 +0200, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> Having been quite intrigued by this I coincidentally found an old raid
> controller of mine.
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.cn/USA/rr454.htm
>
> Though it only has 64kb flash I'm guessing (the bios image is about 55k)
> after a swap of that chip, it may theoretically be possible, correct?
> Hi all,
>
> So why would this only work on ICH based boards? What are changes of
> this working on older chipsets other then intel? Say VIA?
>
> Oliver

Hi

64 kB is enough for SerialICE. I would first check the raid controller
datasheet and PCB if you have more than 16 address lines in the first
place.

Chances are there was something similar on most PCI chipsets, as it was
one practical method for production-line programming in the case of
soldered flash chips. Just don't expect that the possible hardware
bootstrap is labeled or easily accessible on the mainboard.

Kyösti