[coreboot] Tinkering with old and new motherboards

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Fri Jul 13 11:54:49 CEST 2012

On 13-07-12 12:14, David Griffith wrote:

> I have an old motherboard which I'd like to experiment on and have my
> eyes on a bleeding-edge board.  The old one is a Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> (socket 1).  The new one is an MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 (socket AM3+).
> Neither of these appear on the list of supported motherboards.
>
> Tinkering with the old board should be relatively safe because the
> BIOS lives in a socketed PLCC.  I can't seem to figure out what sort
> of package the firmware in the newer one lives in.  None of the photos
> I've found of it seem to have good enough resolution to tell.  Can I
> get some help here?

I found
http://www.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures1_2400_20110531112742.jpg

and I have to agree, the resolution is a bit to low to recognize the
bios on.

My personal 'best bet' is the 'green' chip in the left bottom corner. If
you look at the south-bridge heat-sink, under the middle leg of the 'm'
there's a small SOIC8 chip with a green sticker. It is surrounded by 3
caps. That's the most logical bet, as the sticker probably has bios
version number on it.

Oliver