[coreboot] New patch to review for coreboot: 36c6cc6 SMBIOS: Add Type 38 (IPMI) data structure

Sven Schnelle svens at stackframe.org
Mon Jul 9 18:52:57 CEST 2012

ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> writes:

> was there some platform on which IPMI was essential to bringup? It's
> really not that great to have otherwise.

I'm currently porting coreboot to a Fujitsu-Siemens TX200S3 server. The
mainboard has a BMC on it. This BMC has a additional watchdog besides
the well known IPMI watchdog which switches the box off after 240s if
it's not disabled by the BIOS. The vendor BIOS reports a 'power off by
Watchdog' error in that case. It was probably introduced to switch the
system off if BIOS startup fails.

In short: Yes, we want to have IPMI code in coreboot. :)

Regards
Sven