[coreboot] Asus M2V-MX problems

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:56:14 CET 2012

I was hoping to use the board above to experiment with Coreboot.  The board
has the same northbridge as the Asus M2V-MX SE (VIA K8M890) and the same
southbridge as the Asus M2V (VIA 8237A).  Both of those chipsets are fully
supported.  Thinking that maybe I can at least get the board to boot ASAP,
I built Coreboot for the Asus M2V board to get the southbridge
functionality.  I also didn't use the M2V-MX SE profile because it has the
SPI chip, while the M2V-MX board has a PLCC-32 chip.

The board booted fine, except I have no video, serial port or ability to
write to the BIOS chip.  I know the board booted fine because I was able to
SSH into the box using a PCI network card.  Considering that both the M2V
and M2V-MX have the same southbridge chip, I don't understand why there was
not serial port or write access to the BIOS chip.  Can someone shed some
light on that for me, please.

My other problem is I would like to create a build profile for the M2V-MX
using the code from the M2V for the southbridge and the code from the
M2V-MX SE for the northbridge.  Is that a good idea or would I have to do
some other things?  I learned C programming in 1993 and used it only until
1998; I am a little rusty.  My ability to make sense of low-level chipset
stuff is also very narrow.  However, I am a fast learner and I am desperate
to get something accomplished for a homebrew thin client project that I
have spent way too much time working on.

My goal is to extend the life of boards that people send in for recycling
by turning them into more reliable diskless information terminals.  Thanks.