[coreboot] Coreboot + SeaBIOS on GA-M52S-S3P?

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:18:11 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Ivan Shmakov <oneingray at gmail.com> wrote:
>        I wonder, did anyone try Coreboot and SeaBIOS on Gigabyte's
>        GA-M52S-S3P?

The nvidia chipset is the biggest challenge. I don't know how close it
is to the nvida support in coreboot.

>        I'm mainly interested in booting Linux 2.6-based GNU system via
>        GRUB 2 from a SATA HDD (with GPT), but I'd like to have other
>        boot devices (floppy and DVD drives, USB Flash) and systems
>        supported as well.

This is a typical coreboot + seabios solution.

>        One more issue is that the BIOS IC (labelled MX 25L4005AM2C) is
>        soldered to the board.  I wonder, what'd be the recovery
>        procedure should the newly uploaded firmware fail to boot?

There are a number of ways to handle recovery. Please see this page
for more info:
http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual/Tools#External_EPROM.2FFlash_programmer_that_can_program_the_flash_chip_on_your_motherboard

Marc

http://se-eng.com