[coreboot] [flashrom] (help me to get better) flashrom support for thinkpads with locked down opcodes

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Aug 27 16:08:18 CEST 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 06:18:53 +0200
Stefan Reinauer <stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org> wrote:

> * Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> [120826 21:31]:
> > As you probably all know the procedure to relieve the coreboot-
> > supported thinkpads from their proprietary firmware is not completely
> > trivial[1]. The main problem is that the vendor has locked down the
> > available SPI opcodes that we are allowed to use and this hinders
> > current flashrom to identify the flash chip.
>
> Have you guys considered SMI cache poisoning attacks to work around
> those restrictions?
>
> It would pretty much be a per bios version or per machine based
> workaround, but if we can provide known good coreboot images, that might
> be attractive for people out there...

hehe, no i did not think about that. :) although it would be really
cool, i dont think that it makes a lot of sense right now. adding
support on a per-mainboard base can be done way easier and safer, and
we are looking for a more generic way anyway (and i lack the knowledge
to implement it too).

it would be very cool to see a proof of concept though... :)