[coreboot] coccinelle project for i915 graphics driver for coreboot

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Thu Apr 19 02:15:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 05:09:58PM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> This has been done for Geode vga.  I'm not familiar
> > with the i915 chipset, but there's a chance that you just need to copy
> > the C initialization code over.
>
> no, it's quite complex, especially when you take the aux/ddc channel
> into account and all the other fun bits. It's not a simple
> framebuffer.

Is it a lot of initialization code to get the chip into a framebuffer
mode, or is it that the chip can't be put into a framebuffer mode and
all text writing is quite complex?

If it's the former, then it's still C code that could be called from
SeaVGABIOS.  (Well, not quite, as the current SeaVGABIOS init runs in
16bit mode, but it wouldn't be hard to convert it to run in 32bit
mode.)

Anyway, just something to think about.

-Kevin