[coreboot] GSoC project ideas

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Apr 5 06:31:36 CEST 2012

Paul Geraedts wrote:
> My hardware target is the Papilio platform in general [1];

I have one as well, can try to help test.

> All current Papilio implementations (to which I count the OLS) rely
> on UART over USB.

They rely on UART, not USB. FPGA on OLS as well as Papilio has no
idea that there is a USB connection at all.

> I will try to make my VHDL cores so they will be compatible with
> both types of boards. I plan to start with UART over USB support
> for the currently available Papilio boards.

UART is stoneage idiotic useless. It's 2012, so please aim higher.

> Basically flashrom SPI access, POST code access and serial console
> access. This 'playground' should eventually give me enough insight
> in an optimal implementation when targeting future boards.

Don't invent yet another packet protocol on top of a serial stream,
do this right the first time. You're planning on implementing three
different functions, and they really do need to use different
interfaces.

> At the moment I'm working towards a prototype of the hardware.

The Papilio already has everything ready, except for useful host IO.
The UART is stupid. I suggest that you focus on one core at a time,
and only combine them together later, when there is a useful host
interface.

//Peter