[coreboot] Issues with Supermicro H8SCM

Samir Ibradžić sibradzic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 18:35:01 CET 2011

Hello Kerry, Thomas, Marc,

I got this board for a personal server project, as well as test platform
to dive into coreboot. Board is H8SCM-F rev 1.02, one with BMC. Had
build nice external FT2232 programmer for bailing out of broken flash
situation, works great. I've experimented with recent coreboot revision,
ea5c2b6 + Kerry's AGESA patches (thanks a bunch!), and had experienced
same problem as Thomas, plus some more;

1. Two DIMMs in dual-channel setup wont work, same issue as Thomas,
2x4GB ECC DIMMs here.

2. After booting via coreboot with same Linux distro, SR5850 NorthBridge
heatsink instantly gets much more hot than booting via SuperMicro BIOS.
The temperature is MUCH higher, on idle system, though i can not measure
this by other method than putting my finger there, and i got instantly
BURNED when coreboot is being used. I am afraid to fry my board if it
runs longer this way, it is really that hot.

3. HPET is not being reported at all by coreboot ACPI, OS timer
precision suffers big deal. Dont know if this is a feature or bug? Dmesg
clearly shows the difference, all these lines are missing when booting
via coreboot:

# dmesg | grep -i hpet
[    0.000000] ACPI: HPET 00000000cfeaa5e0 00038 (v01 062911 OEMHPET
20110629 MSFT 00000097)
[    0.000000] ACPI: HPET id: 0x8300 base: 0xfed00000
[    0.000000] hpet clockevent registered
[    1.132106] hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000, IRQs 2, 8, 0, 0
[    1.140072] hpet0: 4 comparators, 32-bit 14.318180 MHz counter
[    1.146104] Switching to clocksource hpet
[    3.499557] rtc0: alarms up to one month, y3k, 114 bytes nvram, hpet irqs

4. CPU (got 4170 HE) frequency scaling only goes as low as 1800MHz in
coreboot when idle. SuperMicro BIOS easily goes all the way down to
800MHz. Spotted this in /proc/cpuinfo

5. USB/EHCI - i haven't really tested this, but it seems minor compared
to 1 & 2.

Now, i know this board is not exactly supported, most probably being an
AGESA problem, but i would really like to do my best to help to make it
work better if possible.

@ Kerry,

I was trying to analyze some AGESA code to get to the DIMM problem, but
most of it is a mystery to me. Could you please point me to the right
place for "DRAM training" in the code, i am willing to invest some time
and nerves to test & investigate this, as well as NB overheating
problem. Any plans to update those AGESA patches for this board?

One strange thing about RAM init is that the coreboot somehow thinks the
board has 8 slots, but it has only four (there should be no channels 2 & 3);

Socket 0 Channel 0 Dimm 0 found dimm: 00400745
Socket 0 Channel 0 Dimm 1 not found dimm
Socket 0 Channel 1 Dimm 0 found dimm: 00400947
Socket 0 Channel 1 Dimm 1 not found dimm
Socket 0 Channel 2 Dimm 0 not found dimm
Socket 0 Channel 2 Dimm 1 not found dimm
Socket 0 Channel 3 Dimm 0 not found dimm
Socket 0 Channel 3 Dimm 1 not found dimm
  Dct 0 Channel 0
   RegDimmPresent:    1
   SODimmPresent:     0
   ChDimmValid:       1
   DimmPlPresent:     0
   DimmQrPresent:     0
   DimmDrPresent:     0
   DimmSRPresent:     1
   Dimmx4Present:     1
   DimmX8Present:     0
   DimmX16Present:    0
   DimmMirrorPresent: 0
  Dct 1 Channel 0
   RegDimmPresent:    1
   SODimmPresent:     0
   ChDimmValid:       1
   DimmPlPresent:     0
   DimmQrPresent:     0
   DimmDrPresent:     0
   DimmSRPresent:     1
   Dimmx4Present:     1
   DimmX8Present:     0
   DimmX16Present:    0
   DimmMirrorPresent: 0
ASSERTION FAILED: file
'src/vendorcode/amd/agesa/f10/Proc/Mem/Main/C32/mmflowC32.c',  line 163

Thanks,
Samir