[coreboot] Alternate for serial port debug messages

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 05:05:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Andrew Goodbody
<andrew.goodbody at tadpole.com> wrote:
> Vikram Narayanan wrote:
>>
>> I have an USB port that has debug capabilities (according to the lspci
>> output)
>> Should I buy the one mentioned in this page
>> http://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port
>
> Yes
>
>> or can I use a normal cable to debug?
>
> There is no normal cable to connect two host ports together and doing so
> would be a bad idea anyway.
>
>> Thanks
>> Vikram
>
> Andrew
>
> --

Hello!
Andrew is right. Don't do that. Track down and buy one of the devices
described on that Wiki page. Further along, it happens that the gadget
chips were originally used for a cable that enabled "simple file
transfer methods" for sending files from one computer to the other,
and I asked about them.

Turns out that the cable might have been perfect, except that it also
isn't the right one.

Naturally I am also looking for the classic USB gadget cable or in
this case card, as described in the 2.4.33.3 USB area.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com