[coreboot] Keyboard not working on Thinkpad X60/T60

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun May 8 00:54:11 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 01:22:50PM -0700, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 5/7/11 12:05 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> >>It takes something about 0.8s, according to serial output.
> Maybe we can add some "shoot and run" ps2 initialization code to
> coreboot that runs before most other code, giving the keyboard or
> kbc time to initialize while we do all the other stuff.

There's a good chance it just needs more time from power up - starting
the init sooner may have no impact.

I don't think ps2 keyboard init should be in coreboot - it is (in the
general case) an optional external device that is auto-discoverable.
There's nothing really special about a ps2 keyboard that requires it
to be handled in the lowest layer of the firmware.

> Have we considered threading in coreboot? It seems the time we spend
> in ramstage is unsignificant and the effort of multitasking in
> romstage is not worth the trouble.

Are you referring to something like the cooperative multitasking
system in SeaBIOS?  If so, do you have ideas on which device
initialization could be done in parallel?  (SeaBIOS can parallelize
initialization of each disk controller, the ps2 controller, each USB
controller, and each USB device.)

-Kevin