[coreboot] Keyboard not working on Thinkpad X60/T60

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Sat May 7 22:19:23 CEST 2011

On 5/7/11 12:05 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 08:48:45PM +0200, Sven Schnelle wrote:
>> Kevin O'Connor<kevin at koconnor.net>  writes:
>>> Do you know how long it takes for your keyboard to become responsive?
>>> (You can pass "-n" to tools/readserial.py to have it report wall times
>>> instead of adjusted times.)
>> It takes something about 0.8s, according to serial output.
> Does adding "msleep(800)" to the top of ps2port.c:keyboard_init()
> help?
Please don't do things like that. Probing the hardware is much better
than a fixed delay.

The various i8042 reimplementations out there are quite ugly and each in
its specific way.

Maybe we should look at the coreboot mainboard type in order to decide
whether to poll the hardware or drop out on the first 0xfe answer. Or at
least make the behavior configurable in Kconfig?

> The logs you posted show the i8042 controller responsive when SeaBIOS
> starts talking to it.  So, I wonder if it's the keyboard that is still
> powering up (instead of the superIO).

Not unlikely. It might also just be some crappy implementation of EC
firmware.

Stefan