[coreboot] use gcc 4.6.0 link time optimization to reduce coreboot execution time

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun May 1 17:42:11 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:37:09PM -0500, Scott Duplichan wrote:
> Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> ] That's a great boot time!  Do you have a breakdown of where the 640ms
> ] is spent?
> I tried adding some serial logging to get an idea about where
> the time is spent. The logging adds 8 ms to the boot time:
>
> Time in ms
> 0      cold reset
> 366    memory initialization complete
> 469    seabios: maininit(void)
> 483    seabios: vga_setup() called
> 604    seabios: vga_setup() returned
> 621    seabios: startBoot(void)
> 648    dos autoexec utility logs pmtimer value

Interesting - thanks.  These numbers look similar to the times I was
getting with a different board last year:

http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2009-December/054770.html

> It looks like the lengthy operations are memory init and VBIOS
> execution, which is consistent with past experience.
>
> UEFI BIOS on this same hardware platform is taking more than
> 10 seconds.

:-)

> Here seabios kconfig options I changed:
[...]
> ATA controllers                              n
> AHCI controllers                             y
> Floppy controller                            n
> PS/2 port                                    n
> USB UHCI controllers                         n
> Parallel port                                n
> PCIBIOS interface                            n
> APM interface                                n
> PnP BIOS interface                           n
> S3 resume                                    n
> SMBIOS                                       n

Do these options change the boot time?  Since there is already 160ms
of time spent in SeaBIOS, I would have thought the time for all of
these could have been done in parallel anyway.

-Kevin