[coreboot] Support for Core i3 and better

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:49:50 CET 2011

On 03/11/2011 01:50 PM, Oleg Gvozdev wrote:
> I look now at Gygabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and AM3 socket.

And this is the board I would have suggested. It's the only officially
suppported board with AM3 and DDR3.
http://www.coreboot.org/GIGABYTE_GA-MA785GMT-UD2H

The problem with this board is that it comes in several "versions".
We've had people having difficulties getting other versions to run, but
most of the hard work is done. With a bit of patience at worst, you
should be able to get it running.

You could theoretically get any AM3 board and port it; this will be
extra work, however.

> 1. Does Coreboot work with Phenom II  Thuban CPU ? I want 6-core CPU of
> Phenom2

It's supported.

> 2. If it does not, what do you suggest from quadcores Phenom2 AM3 or
> AM+.. (i wrote your sentence about Satan,but i dont want to spend money
> on unworking system)

AM3 six-core is porbably the best bet for anyone wanting to run coreboot
on a modern system.

> I just need as much powerfull CPU as it can be to use with Coreboot.

Well, there is Socket G34, which is mostly the same silicon as the
Phenom II, and it comes in 8 or 12-core variants (and 1, 2 or 4 sockets
-- up to 48 cores total) _*_BUT_*_ this will need serious work to get
running.  Even with AMD's excellent cooperation, this is no easy task.
Such a job will turn you into a coreboot developer. ;)

Alex