[coreboot] ASRock E350M1: Boot delay with debug enabled, system RAM reported incorrectly in Linux

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Sun Jun 19 08:38:25 CEST 2011

Marshall Buschman wrote:

]Hello:
]
]With Scott's work on PCIe support for the E350M1, the NIC and USB3 are
]now working -- Thanks Scott!

Thanks for testing it on both the boards. Good to hear it works.

]The remaining problems that I know of are:
]
]1) Enabling coreboot serial debugging slows system boot dramatically: 5min+
]Someone mentioned in IRC that this is because we are attempting to write
]to the serial device before it is ready, which causes some kind of
]timeout/backoff/retry sequence. How can I help with this?

That is weird. The log file you sent is 38819 bytes. I would expect the
boot time penalty to be not much more than the I/O time of 38819 bytes /
(11520 bytes/second) = 3.37 seconds. I did a test with loglevel 8. It logged
45745 bytes and the boot time from cold reset to DOS prompt was 5.56
seconds. When I watch the serial output, it spews text nearly continuously.
There is no hardware or software handshaking for the writes, so nothing
should slow it down.

]2) System RAM is reported incorrectly. In linux, "free -m" reports 480mb
]of total RAM -- the full total is 4gb.

I see, I had tested only a small memory configuration so far. It looks
like any size greater than 4GB will fail. Try the attached patch.

Thanks,
Scott