[coreboot] gerrit: patch iterations in email [was: differences between patchset iterations]

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Thu Jun 9 21:51:38 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 07:24:39PM -0700, David Hendricks wrote:

> > > I think I would like to get later iterations in follow-up emails..
>
> Yep, me too.

Maybe I was over-reacting to what seemed like a lot of "Patch set updated"
e-mails drowning out ML discussion.

Perhaps it would be wise to create another e-mail list for verbose gerrit
messages? That could satisfy the needs of the more involved developers,
without creating too much traffic on the main discussion mailing list.

I don't think I want to go to the web interface for every new patch
> submission
> someone does and add myself there just in order to get the notifications.

FWIW, the sender can add people to the reviewer list from the CLI when
sending the patch. For example, if you and Patrick are discussing an issue
and you whip out a patch, then it's perfectly kosher for you to upload the
patch with Patrick listed as a reviewer so he automatically gets further
updates and comments.

The gerrit FAQ linked from the coreboot page uses this as an example:
Specific reviewers can be requested and/or additional `carbon copies'' of
the notification message may be sent by including these as arguments to `git
receive-pack:
git push --receive-pack='git receive-pack --reviewer=a at a.com --cc=b at o.com'
tr:kernel/common HEAD:refs/for/experimental

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.