[coreboot] [ANN] New code repository and development workflow

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Mon Jun 6 22:18:52 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 21:47, Vibrans, Frank <Frank.Vibrans at amd.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I’m a bit unhappy about the move to git because I was able to get the
> coreboot tree hooked up into our SVN as an external so we would always have
> the latest by simply doing an SVN update.  I’m afraid I won’t be able to
> convince the rest of AMD to move to git just to make my life easier.
>

> Does anybody know of a way or have a script to get SVN to run git for me?
> All I need is the equivalent of SVN checkout and update.  Thanks,
>

> FrankV

Usually it's used the other way around (i.e. use git to commit to a
upstream svn repo), but nevertheless, git has strong svn support, as
documented here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

The equivalent of 'svn co' would be 'git svn clone', the equivalent to
'svn up' would be 'git svn rebase'.
As you can see, updating is slightly less trivial because git works
very differently, but generally it should work fine.

Anyway, convincing the rest of AMD would probably be more fun :P
I understand that a lot of people hesitate to switch to git because it
seems so complex and powerful - but the regular workflow is very
simple and very very easy to learn.