[coreboot] ROM build errors

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 6 12:59:48 CEST 2011

Hi Joe,

Joe Holden wrote:
> I am trying to build a rom with generic defaults for ALIX (although the
> same error appears regardless of mainboard/chipset combination,
..

>   Linking out/rom16.o
> out/romlayout16.lds:707 cannot move location counter backwards (from
> 000000000000ca94 to 000000000000ca78)
..

> Can anyone confim this is actually the problem and it will go away
> if I build a more recent binutils?

The problem is indeed with your toolchain. I strongly recommend that
you run make crossgcc in the top level coreboot source directory,
which will then build a reference toolchain with known working
components. The toolchain should be discovered automatically by the
coreboot and SeaBIOS build systems. You can verify this by cat:ing
the .xcompile file in the root source dir.

//Peter