[coreboot] [RFC]Using gerrit for patch management (and jenkins for QA)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jun 1 05:02:05 CEST 2011

Patrick Georgi wrote:
> I'm officially sick and tired of patchwork. Or from losing patches
> to the mailing list.

Hear hear!

> Given how the git read-only mirror gains popularity, maybe we should use
> that to our advantage and upgrade other parts of our tool set, too.

Sounds good.

> Enter gerrit: A web tool to push git commits to, have them reviewed,
> with proper handling of updated patches. Automatic support for
> dependencies between commits (by default it assumes that ancestry means
> dependency). An automated gatekeeper to the repository.

Sounds even better! Does updated patches mean rebase?

> Should we use it, I'd also add Jenkins (http://www.jenkins-ci.org) to
> the mix.

Put into oven at 220 C and bake for 20 minutes. Yum, chocolate cake!

> Anyway, this would be a rather large change in the development workflow,
> so unlike other changes to our infrastructure this is nothing I can
> "just do".

So far there has been no way at all to push git commits to the main
repo and I really like the look of this setup so if we want to start
getting commits also via git then I think it makes perfect sense.

Maybe the svn repo can (and should) stay primary repo a while longer
still, but that would require a magic post-receive git hook to
transplant received commits into the svn repo, which comes with lots
of fun potential synchronization issues.

It may also be just as well to simply rip off the svn bandaid once
and for all.

Some contributors may experience issues with firewalls when switching
from svn to ssh, but meanwhile it would always be possible to send
patches generated by git via email. (There is even a git send-email
command that automates the process.)

//Peter