[coreboot] [RFC] flashrom as a payload requirements, for updating firmware without OS help.

Tadas Slotkus devtadas at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:06:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

legacy BIOS provided flasher, to update firmware image to better one
(via floppy, usb, hdd...). Users were provided with working images, so
the possibility to brick was low. If our codebase is ready, I mean the
default settings build the right image, we may want to provide similar
tool too. When using SeaBios you can select another payload (flashrom)
to execute instead of loading OS. Also for payload development, little
trimmed SeaBios with CBFS support could be used - this invokes flashrom
or the development payload or even another full-featured SeaBios.

What do uefi experts think? I saw there are dozens of stuff in the
specification? But less about recovery.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Tadas