[coreboot] What is the difference between fadt rev 3 and rev 1

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Fri Jan 21 16:33:22 CET 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: coreboot-bounces at coreboot.org [mailto:coreboot-bounces at coreboot.org] On Behalf Of Bao, Zheng
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 02:53 AM
To: coreboot at coreboot.org
Subject: [coreboot] What is the difference between fadt rev 3 and rev 1

]Hi,
]My bimini board now can boot linux to login, with the sb800 code in
]trunk. But I have to change the fadt->revision to 1. I am so confused.
]Why this field can affect my linux booting. If I have to change it back
]to 3, what else should I do to make it run correctly?
]
]Attachments are the dmesg of 2 cases.
]
]Zheng

Hello Zheng,

Sorry about the FADT trouble. I believe this is the reason the version was changed:

   ----------
   Running a checked build of Windows is needed for understanding
   its various BIOS related BSODs. Win7 checked build complains
   when running coreboot+seabios:

   FADT revision inconsistent with length.
       Revision:        0x1
       Length:          0xf4
       Expected Length: 0x74

   The following patch solves the problem. Tested on Mahogany_fam10 only.
   ----------

The 3.0 version of FADT adds a few new items to the end of the version
10. FADT:

reset_reg
reset_value
x versions of address fields for supporting 64-bit addresses.

The two log files show more differences that the FADT reset
field would explain, it seems like. Is the FADT revision the
only difference in the two coreboot builds?

Thanks,
Scott